- First ping the device so every device will update its CAM/ARP table.
- You can see the MAC address in the ARP table:
Windows-device> arp -a
or you can use “show ip arp” on a Cisco device.
- Next check the CAM table of the connected switch:
show mac address-table address MAC-address
- It is useful to check the port, so we can see whether this is an uplink or a host is connected to the port.
- In this example you can use “show cdp interface Fa1/0/48” to find out the IP of the connected network device. This way you can hop to the next device and continue with the above techniques.